Award-winning, customer-focused, team-oriented Design leader with 20 years experience designing, leading, and managing teams in the discovery and delivery of innovative experiences for the world’s best Banking and Travel brands.
Areas of Expertise
- Leadership & Management
- Team & Culture Building
- Design Direction & Strategy
- Design Thinking & Agile Delivery
- Design Program Management
- Design Systems & Design Ops
- Cross-functional Facilitation
- Performance, Mentorship & Coaching
UX Design | UI Design | Service Design | Creative Design
Content | Research | Web | Mobile | Email
ATM / Physical Kiosk | Business Tools | Ecommerce | Product
- Awarded “Best in Class Mobile Banking Financial Institution,” “Best in Mobile Banking Accessibility” by Javelin Strategy and Research, “Best in Online Customer Experience” by Keynote Competitive Research.
- Led and designed innovative new Bank experiences, growing mobile adoption by 64% year over year.
- Successfully influenced company-level investment, and systematic change, to drive customer-centric, quality-oriented product development at Hotwire.
- Led creation of Hotwire’s first experience principles, 2020 UX vision, design system, design-led roadmap, experiential metrics, and customer-centric product development process.
- Helped stabilize Hotwire Hotel business, the first time since 2012, and supported 40% Car business growth in 2019, by employing behavioral psychology design and content optimizations.
- Reduced UX operating expenses by 17%, while increasing team diversity, capability, and satisfaction.
- Achieved average four-year team tenure in a highly competitive market for design talent.
- Identified, hired and developed top-tier design talent, who’ve built careers at Expedia Group, and went on to Google, Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and more.
Expedia Group | San Francisco, California
Top Multi-Brand Travel Marketplace, Fortune 500 Company
June 2013 – May 2020
Head of Design for Expedia’s discount travel brand Hotwire, responsible for the digital consumer and supplier experience, facilitating +$1B annual Hotel, Car, Flight sales, domestic and international.
Lead and manage the User Experience practice and organization for Expedia Group’s Hotwire brand, across Web, Mobile, Email, and tools, for consumers and suppliers.
- Set direction, gather buy-in, lead execution of differentiated experience vision.
- Manage cross-functional teams up to 17 contributors, managers and leads.
- Create a collaborative, inspirational, supportive environment for cross-functional teams to thrive.
- Hire, develop, coach, and mentor the best Design talent.
- Leadership across Expedia Group Customer Experience, Brand, Product, Engineering, and Design.
- Manage UX headcount, budgeting, forecasting, role design, leveling and performance frameworks.
- Accountability for Product Design, Creative Design, Content, in Product and Digital Marketing.
- Direct relevant rituals, All Hands, Design Critique, Standup, Retrospectives, and more.
- Director, Experience Design
- Director, Product Design & Content
- Sr Manager, UI Design, Creative Services & Content
- Manager, UI Design & Creative Services
- Sr UX Designer, Mobile
- Led creation of Hotwire’s “North Star” UX vision in preparation for 2020 front-end replatform.
- Collaborated with Research to introduce Hotwire’s first Design-led roadmap, which successfully drove bolder, customer-centric work, which was adopted by Product Agile teams.
- Teamed up with Product Management to augment existing agile processes with more significant support for Research and discovery while maintaining design throughput.
- Strategized and directed Hotwire’s first global Design Language and supporting Design Systems.
- Reduced operational expenses by 17%.
- United Engineering, Design, and Product to deliver a new universal front-end UI component library.
- Using behavioral psychology and content improvement, Design helped stabilize declining Hotwire Hotel business with the first positive year since 2012; UX supported 40% Car business growth in 2019.
- Identified areas of opportunity to tighten up team support, creating tools such as Experience Principles, UX Analytics Dashboards, continuous process improvement.
- Achieved 4.8/5 Mobile App Store rating through feature and UI improvements.
Bank of America | San Francisco, California
Top Multi-Brand Bank, Fortune 100 Company
March 2007 – June 2013
Lead, manage, and contribute UX and UI for high-profile next-gen consumer banking experiences.
- Visual design leadership and direction for Online Banking, +33M users.
- Contributed vision work influencing future design for Online and Mobile Banking.
- UX/UI Design, wireframing, prototyping, user flows, research, mockups, photography.
- Project management, leadership, UX and UI design for innovative features Mobile Apps, and ATMs.
- Vice President, UX/UI Designer
- Assistant Vice President, UI Designer
Led design of experiences that far exceeded business goals, earned industry praise, and glowing customer feedback.
- Awarded Best in Class Mobile Banking Financial Institution, Best in Mobile Banking Accessibility by Javelin Strategy and Research, and Best in Online Customer Experience by Keynote Competitive Research.
- Led first-gen design for Mobile Check Deposits, which exceeded the adoption goal by 75%, with 8M checks deposited in the first quarter.
- Leader and contributor to re-design of Mobile Banking Apps, which grew 64% year-over-year, utilized +100M times monthly, $1B per week money movement.
- Created cross-platform UI toolkits to drive cohesive, quality design across a +150 person Design organization, serving multiple platforms and lines of business.
- Received glowing, unsolicited customer feedback:
- “I really like the app. Very sleek and user friendly. I especially liked the mobile check deposit! Well done.”
- “I love love love this app!!! It makes it so convenient to manage your money and to stay on top of your finances!!! I would not go without this app ever again!!”
- “I really love your phone app, it makes everything easy and fast.”
- “Great and very convenient. Easy and very fast. Definitely I love it. GREAT APP BofA. :)”
- “I absolutely love this app. It’s like a bank branch in your hand.”
January 2007 – March 2007
Senior Web Designer
February 2003 – February 2007
- 2019 – General Assembly – Guest Speaker on the topic of “Navigating the Design Industry”, to the User Experience Graduate Class
- 2017 – Interaction Design Association – Panel Participant on “Org Design for Design Orgs” @ Medium Headquarters, San Francisco; Panel included Peter Merholz (Adaptive Path, Capital One, Jawbone, Groupon), Andrew Crow (Uber, Medium, Strava), Lori Kaplan (Apple, Lending Club), Clay Newton (Bank of America, Expedia Group), Austin Hastings (Bank of America, Expedia Group)
- 2015 – General Assembly – Guest Speaker on the topic of “Design Operations and Product Design”, to the User Experience Class